2011 year´s instrument is a fine 18th century example by the master Nicola Gagliano, from Naples. The violin is a Gagliano original in terms of all its essential parts, such as the top plate, the back plate, the ribs, scroll and varnish.
The instrument has a fictitious label with the following text: Ferdinandus Gagliano Filius Nicolai fecit Neap. 1766
Top plate: of spruce, in 2 parts, narrow to broad annual rings outwards.Back plate: of maple, well-flamed with narrow, rising flames.Ribs: of maple, well-flamed with narrow, rising flames.Scroll: of maple, well-flamed with slightly less distinct flames than the back plate.Varnish: yellow-orange of fine classic quality, on a golden base.Measurements in millimetres: 352.5/205.5/163.5
The previous owner was a Danish violinist, who was a member of the Royal Danish Orchestra in Copenhagen. The musician in question was a student of Peder Møller, the tutor at the Royal Danish Academy of Music, for whom Carl Nielsen wrote his violin concerto.
The violin was bought in 1944 from the violin-maker Pauli Merling in Copenhagen. After the Second World War, the then owner went on a concert tour to France, Germany and later the US. In America, there were also master classes and studies under the great Jascha Heifetz. The violin was used as a concert instrument by the previous owner throughout their career until the end of the 1960s.